Wait, no? Maybe we need to give you a crash course in facts about cashew nuts.
- The “fruit” of the cashew nut is called the cashew apple. The cashew nut is the real fruit of the cashew tree, but the cashew apple is the swollen stalk of the nut. In some places around the world, the apple is used as a snack or distilled into liquor or wine.
- Cashew Nuts are high in monounsaturated fat, which has been linked to an increase in HDL “good” cholesterol and a decrease in LDL cholesterol.
- The scientific designation for the cashew, anacardium occidentale, refers to the shape of the cashew apple, which looks like an inverted (upside-down) heart.
- The colloquial name for the cashew nut comes from the Portuguese name for the nut, caju.
- Cashew nuts are native to Brazil, but are now grown all over the world.
At Superior Nut Store, we celebrate the ‘bounty of Brazil’ with our enormous selection of giant whole cashew nuts and cashew snacks. Whether they’re salted or unsalted or enrobed in milk or dark chocolate, or part of one of our famous gift baskets, you know that our cashew nuts are the best and most delicious that you’ll find.
Just like each of our other tasty nuts, all of our cashew nuts are roasted right here in our Cambridge, Massachusetts location and then distribute them across the country and overseas. With a commitment to bringing you the best quality nuts and snacks and a tradition of excellence dating back to 1929, you can trust Superior Nut Store to deliver the best in cashew nuts, not just give you fun facts about them.