If you listen carefully you can hear it. It calls out to you above all the phone calls around you. Above all the typing, all the people yelling at the copy machine to ‘please just work already!’ Above the footsteps and conversation pouring out of cubicles, above the hum of the light above you that isn’t ready to burn out just yet. Above all of that comes the siren call of the snack machine. The snack machine full of sweet candy bars and salty chips. The snack machine with sticky buns and cookies and flavored pretzel treats.
The snack machine wants to steal more than your money and your willpower. The snack machine won’t be happy until your pants are too tight and your shirt struggles to button. And even then – even then! – the snack machine will continue to hunger for your quarters. The time has come to talk back. The time has come to tell the snack machine that you are no longer friends, that you never were friends, and that you don’t want those candy bars after all! The time has come to find healthy snacks to bring to work
so you can tell the snack machine you don’t need it and mean it this time. And we’re here to help. Here are 3 healthy snacks to bring to work to get you started. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do – they’re all tested and approved by members of the Superior Nut staff!Number One: Pumpkin Seeds
- Rich in zinc, iron and protein, among other key nutrients, pumpkin seeds are good for your body, good for your taste buds, and good at keeping your appetite at bay until dinner (go protein!) And while they definitely qualify as healthy snacks to bring to work
all on their own, it can be fun to keep things interesting by seasoning them in new and flavorful ways. We’ve seen recipes that include cayenne pepper, garlic, cinnamon, rosemary, vanilla and more. (Not all together, mind you!) Think of what you most often crave and search for a recipe online. For example, if you find yourself reaching for a microwave pizza, consider a garlic pumpkin seeds recipe. If it’s a cupcake you crave, vanilla, cinnamon or dark chocolate might serve you better.Number Two: Alegria (popped amaranth bars)
- I have tried a few recipes I found online for these, and have yet to choose a favorite. My recommendation is to look over a few yourself and see which appeals most to your taste and cooking skill level (or what you have in your pantry!) These simple treats are most often comprised of just a few ingredients, with amaranth and honey being the stars of the show, and I kind of see them as a grown-up version of marshmallow and rice cereal squares. Make these on Sunday to have healthy snacks to bring to work all week!Number Three: Dried Fruit and Yogurt of the Day
- No matter how much we love yogurt, it’s easy to get bored with the same old, same old. Have you been dipping your spoon in plain vanilla as long as you can remember? The time has come to shake things up! You can stick with the vanilla if you’d like – most fruits pair quite nicely with it. But here are some other options to consider:
- Raspberry yogurt with dried pears
- Lemon yogurt with dried goji berries
- Strawberry yogurt with dried blueberries
- Peach yogurt with dried kiwi
- Blackberry yogurt with dried papaya
Do our healthy snacks to bring to work
sound good to you? Have other healthy snacks to bring to work you’d like to share? Please drop by the Superior Nut Twitter
and Superior Nut Facebook
with your yummy ideas!